Our Ph.D. program offers majors in the more traditional fields of analytical/bioanalytical, inorganic/materials, organic/bioorganic and physical/theoretical chemistry plus a customizable interdisciplinary “chemistry” major in which a course sequence is designed by the student and their major professor. Additionally, we offer specializations in Materials Chemistry, Industrial Chemistry, Biomolecular Science, Chemical Instrumentation, Forensic Chemistry and Chemical Education.
We currently have more than 160 graduate students enrolled in our program with 93% pursuing the Ph.D. degree. We are very proud of the fact that ca. 70% of those students entering the Ph.D. program at ISU will receive their Ph.D. degree.
As a student in the Ph.D. program, you will progress through our program by achieving these milestones:
- Semester 1: Choose your major professor, join a group, and begin your research
- Semester 2: Set up your Program of Study committee
- Semester 4: Meet your Program of Study committee to discuss your project and progress
- Semester 5: Complete your Preliminary Oral Exam
- Semester 8: Complete your public seminar requirement
- Semester 9+: Graduate!
See the pages linked on the right for more specific information about degree requirements, courses and the most recent copy of the Graduate Handbook 2020-2021.