- Undergraduate Program
- Graduate Program
- Forensic Certificate
- For Current Graduate Students
- Chemistry Help Room
- Alumni News
- Hach Hall
- Chemical Services
- Lab Safety
- Outcomes and Assessment
- Contact Information
- Apply Online
- TA Opportunities
George A. Kraus
Organic Synthesis, Bioagricultural Chemistry, Toxicology
235. G. A. Kraus, S. Kesavan “Preparation of Advanced Intermediates for the Synthesis of Both Methyllycaconitine and Racemulsonine via a Common Intermediate”, Tetrahedron Lett. 2005, 46, 1111.
236. G. A. Kraus, P. K. Choudhury “A Direct Synthesis of Cynandione A” Synthesis, 2005, 703.
237. G. Krishnamoorthy, S. Webb, T. Nguyen, P. K. Chowdhury, M. Halder, N. J. Wills, S. Carpenter, G. A. Kraus, M.S. Gordon, and J. W. Petrich, “Synthesis of Hydroxy and Methoxy Perylene Quinones, Their Spectroscopic and Computational Characterization, and Their Antiviral Activity”, Photochemistry and Photobiology, 2005, 81, 924-33.
238. G. A. Kraus, I. Jeon “Preparation of Complex Bridged Bicyclic Ring Systems From 3,3-Diacetoxy-2-phenylsulfonylpropene and b-Keto Esters”, Tetrahedron, 2005, 61, 2111.
239. G. A. Kraus, N. Zhang, J. Wei, J. Jensen “Regiochemical Control by Remote Substituents. A Selective Synthesis of Angularly-Fused Ring Systems”, Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2005, 3040-44.
240. G. A. Kraus, J. Schroeder “Halogen-Metal Exchange/Cyclization of Iodoketones. A Direct Synthesis of 3-Arylbenzofurans”, Synlett, 2005, 2504.
241. G. A. Kraus, S. Kesavan “Annulations via Dianions: Formation of Five-, Six- and Seven-Membered Rings”, Synlett, 2005, 951.
242. G. A. Kraus, J. Wei “Synthesis of the Kushecarpin Skeleton” Tetrahedron Lett, 2005, 46, 7511.
243. G. A. Kraus, T. Wu “Direct Approaches to Annulated Indoles. A Formal Total Synthesis of 0231B”, Tetrahedron, 2005, 61, 9502.
244. G. A. Kraus, J. Bae, J. Schuster “Synthesis of a Novel Diynone from Echinacea Pallida”, Synthesis, 2005, 3502-04.
245. Kraus, George A. “Phytochemicals, dyes, and pigments in the biorefinery context” Biorefineries--Industrial Processes and Products 2006, 2 315-324.
246. K. J. Stanger, J. W. Wiench, M. Pruski, J. H. Espenson, G. A. Kraus, R. J. Angelici “Catalytic oxidation of a thioether and dibenzothiophenes using an oxorhenium(V) dithiolate complex tethered on silica” Journal of Molecular Catalysis A, 2006, 243, 158.
247. K. W. Wilhelms, G. A. Kraus, S. A. Cutler, M. A. Rasmussen, C. G. Scanes “Evaluation of the Corn-Furan Fatty Acid Putative Endocrine Disruptors on Reproductive Performance in Adult Female Chickens” Poultry Science, 2006, 85, 1795.
248. G. A. Kraus, T. Wu “A Concise Synthesis of 5-Demethyl-HKI 0231A and 5-Demethyl-HKI 0231B”, Tetrahedron Letters, 2006, 47, 7801.
249. G. A. Kraus, J. Kim “Synthesis of the Tetracyclic Ring System of Cumbiasin Via Tandem Radical Cyclizations”, Tetrahedron Letters, 2006, 47, 7797.
250. G. A. Kraus, I. Jeon “Use of Allylic Strain to Enforce Stereochemistry.A Direct Synthesis of Calamenenes from Hypericum elodeoides”, Organic Letters, 2006, 8, 5315-6316.
251. G. A. Kraus, J. Bae, L. Wu, E. Wurtele “Synthesis and Natural Distribution of Anti-inflammatory Alkamides from Echinacea” Molecules, 2006, 11, 758-767.
252. G. A. Kraus; T. Goronga “An Approach to Amino Ester Subunits of Tamiflu” Synthesis, 2007, 1765.
253. G. A. Kraus, J. Bae, J. Kim “Phytochemicals from Echinacea and Hypericum. A Direct Synthesis of Isoligularone”, Synth. Commun., 2007, 37, 1251.
254. G. A. Kraus, J. Bae, L. Wu, E. Wurtele “The Synthesis and Natural Distribution of the Major Ketone Constituents in Echinacea pallida”, Molecules, 2007, 12, 406-414.
255. C. LaLone, K. Hammer, L. Wu, J. Bae, N. Leyva, Y. Liu, A. Sia-Solco, G. A. Kraus, P. Murphy, E. Wurtele, O.-K. Kim, K. Seo, M. Widrlechner, and D. F. Birt “Echinacea Species and Alkamides Inhibit Prostaglandin E2 Production in RAW264.7 Mouse Macrophage Cells”, J. Ag. Food Chem. 2007, 55, 7314-7322.
256. G. A. Kraus, I. Jeon, M. Nilsen-Hamilton, J. Banerjee “Fluorinated Analogs of Malachite Green: Synthesis and Toxicity” Molecules, 2008, 13, 986-994.
257. G. A. Kraus, J. Wei, A. Thite “Reactions of Carbanions with 1,3-Benzodioxin-4-ones. Facile Routes to Flavones, Aurones and Acyl Phloroglucinols”, Synthesis, 2008, 2427-2431.
258. Birt DF, Widrlechner MP, LaLone CA, Wu L, Bae J, Solco AK, Kraus GA, Murphy PA, Wurtele ES, Leng Q, Hebert SC, Maury WJ, Price JP. "Echinacea in infection" American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2008, 87, 488S-492S.
259. G. A. Kraus, I. Jeon "Progress towards the synthesis of Papuaforin A: Selective formation of a- bromoenones from silyl enol ethers" Tetrahedron Letters, 2008, 49, 286-8.
260. G. A. Kraus, G. Kumar, G. Phillips "Synthesis and Antibacterial Activity of Littorachalcone and Related Diphenyl Ethers", Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2008, 18, 2329-2332.
261. R. Adhikary , P. Mukherjee , A. Thite, G. A. Kraus , A. B. Wijeratne, P. S. Sharma, D. W. Armstrong, and J. W. Petrich " Influence of Chiral Ionic Liquids on the Excited-State Properties of Naproxen Analogs", J. Phys. Chem B 2008, 112, 7555-7559.
262. G. A. Kraus "Synthetic Methods for the Preparation of 1,3-Propanediol" Clean Soil, Air, Water (invited review), 2008, 36, 648-651.
263. C. Ley,, J. Brazard,, F. Lacombat,, P. Plaza,, M. M. Martin,, G.A. Kraus, J.W. Petrich " Multiphotonic excitation and solvation dynamics effects on the femtosecond transient absorption of O‑hexamethoxyhypericin", Chemical Physics Letters, 2008, 457, 82-86.
264. G. A. Kraus, H. Guo "One-Pot Synthesis of 2-Substituted Indoles from 2-Aminobenzyl Phosphonium Salts. A Formal Total Synthesis of Arcyriacyanin A", Org. Lett, 2008, 10, 3061-3063.
265. G. A. Kraus, S. Roy "First Total Synthesis of Chrysosplenol D", J. Natural Prod. 2008, 71 (11), 1961.
266. L. Wu, P. M. Dixon, B. J. Nikolau, G. A. Kraus, M. P. Widrlechner, E. S. Wurtele“Metabolic Profiling of Echinacea Genotypes and a Test of Alternative Taxonomic Treatments”, Planta Medica, 2009, 75, 178-183.
267. G. A. Kraus, Y. Yi "A Convenient Synthesis of Type A Procyanidins", Molecules, 2009, 14, 807-815 (submitted as part of invited symposium in print).
268. D. F. Birt,M. P Widrlechner, K. D. P Hammer, M. L Hillwig, J. Wei, G. A. Kraus, P. A. Murphy, J. McCoy, E. S. Wurtele, J. D. Neighbors, D. F. Wiemer, W. J. Maury, and J. P. Price “Hypericum in Infection: Identification of Anti-viral and Anti-inflammatory Constituents”, Pharmaceutical Biology, 2009, 47, 774-782.
269. G. A. Kraus, A. Thite, F. Liu “Intramolecular Radical Cyclizations onto Quinones. A Direct Synthesis of Bauhinoxepin J”, Tetrahedron Letters, 2009, 50, 5303.
270. G. A. Kraus, H. Guo “A Flexible Synthesis of 2,3-Disubstituted Indoles fromAminobenzyl Phosphoniun Salts. A Direct Synthesis of Rutaecarpine” J. Org. Chem. 2009, 74, 5337.
271. Wendy Maury, Jason Price, Melinda Brindley, Jeffrey Neighbors, David Wiemer, Nicolas Wills, Susan Carpenter, Cathy Hauck, Patricia Murphy, Mark P. Widrlechner, Kathleen Delate, Ganesh Kumar, George A. Kraus, Ludmila Rizshsky, Basil Nikolau “Identification of light-independent inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus-1 infection through bioguided fractionation of Hypericum perforatum” Virology Journal 2009, 6, 101.
272. G. A. Kraus, J. Mengwasser “Quinones as key intermediates in natural products synthesis. Syntheses of bioactive xanthones from Hypericum perforatum” Molecules, 2009, 14, 2857-2861.
273. G. A. Kraus, V. Gupta, Marian Kohut and Navrozedeep Singh “A Direct Synthesis of 5,6-Dihydroindolo[2,1-a]isoquinolines that Exhibit Immunosuppressive Activity”, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2009, 19, 5539-42.
274. S. Bose, A. Wijeratne, A. Thite, G. A. Kraus, D. Armstrong, J. Petrich, “Influence of Chiral Ionic Liquids on Stereoselective Fluorescence Quenching by Photoinduced Electron Transfer in a Naproxen Dyad” J. Phys. Chem, B, 2009, 113, 10825.
275. F. R. Romero, K. Delate, G. A. Kraus, A. K. Solco, P. A. Murphy, D. J. Hannapel, “Alkamide Production from Hairy Root Cultures of Echinacea” In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology: Plant 2009, 45(5), 599-609.
276. G. A. Kraus, V. Gupta “A New Synthetic Strategy for the Synthesis of Bioactive Stilbene Dimers. A Direct Synthesis of Amurensin H”, Tetrahedron Letters, 2009, 50, 7180-7183.
277. G. A. Kraus, A. Kempema “A Direct Synthesis of Racemic Tetragalloyl Apiitol”, Synthesis, 2010, 389.
278. G. A. Kraus, T. Wu “A Three-Component Reaction Between Benzynes, the Enolate of Acetaldehyde, and Unsaturated Esters and Dihydroisoquinolines”, Tetrahedron, 2010, 66, 569-572.
279. M. Gaowei, G. A. Kraus, I. Kim, M. E. Spurlock, T. B. Bailey, P. M. Dixon, Q. Zhang, D. C. Beitz “Mitochondrially targeted vitamin E normalizes hepatic mitochondrial 4 oxidative stress and inhibits fat deposition in mice”, J. Nutrition, 2010, 140, 1425-1431.
280. G. A. Kraus, H. Guo, G. Kumar, G. Pollock, H. Carruthers, D. Chaudhary, J. Beasley “A Flexible Synthesis of Indoles from ortho-Substituted Anilines. A Direct Synthesis of Isocryptolepine”, Synthesis Feature Paper, 2010, 1386-1393.
281. G. A. Kraus, I. Jeon, J. Mengwasser, T. Windus “Metalation Selectivity of 4,6-Dibromoresorcinol Dimethyl Ether”, Synlett, 2010, 1955.
282. G. A. Kraus, H. Guo “A Direct Synthesis of Neocryptolepine and Isocryptolepine”, Tetrahedron Letters, 2010, 51, 4137.
283. G. A. Kraus, V. Gupta, M. Mokhtarian, S. Mehanovic and M. Nilsen-Hamilton “New Effective Inhibitors of the Abelson Kinase”, Bioorg. Med. Chem., 2010, 18(17), 6316-21.
284. G. A. Kraus, A. Kempema “Synthesis of Azafluorenone Antimicrobial Agents” J. Natural Products, 2010, 73(11), 1967-1968.
285. G. A. Kraus, V. Gupta “A Divergent Approach to Flavones and Aurones via Dihaloacrylic Acids. Unexpected Dependence on the Halogen Atom”, Organic Letters, 2010, 12(22), 5278-5280.
286. G. A. Kraus, J. Mengwasser, W. Maury “Synthesis of Chroman Aldehydes that Inhibit HIV” Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2011, 21, 1399-1401.
287. Gaowei Mao, George A. Kraus, Ikyon Kim, Michael E. Spurlock, Theodore B. Bailey, Donald
C. Beitz “Effect of a mitochondria-targeted vitamin E derivative on mitochondrial alteration and systemic oxidative stress in mice” British Journal of Nutrition 2011, 106, 87–95.
288. G. A. Kraus, S. Riley, T. Cordes “Aromatics from Pyrones: Para-Substituted Alkyl Benzoates
from Alkenes and Coumalic Acid and Methyl Coumalate” Green Chem. 2011, 2734-2736.
289. G. A. Kraus, F. Liu “The Preparation of Ketone Constituents from Echinacea pallida”
Tetrahedron, 2011, 67, 8235-8237.
290. G. A. Kraus, V. Gupta, A. Kempema “New Approach to Flavonols via Base Mediated
Cyclization. Total Synthesis of 3,5,6,7-Tetramethoxyflavone” Synlett, 2012, 385-8.
291. G. A. Kraus, F. Liu “Synthesis of Polyhydroxylated Xanthones via Acyl Radical Cyclizations”
Tetrahedron Letters, 2012, 53, 111.
292. G. A. Kraus, F. Liu “Synthesis of Uliginosins A and B” Natural Products Communications,
2012, 7, 191.
293. G. A. Kraus, S. Riley “A Large Scale Synthesis of a-Olefins and a, w-Dienes”,
Synthesis 2012, 44, 3003-3005.
294. G. A. Kraus, T. Guney “A Direct Synthesis of 5-Alkoxymethylfurfural Ethers from Fructose”,
Green Chemistry, 2012, 14, 1593-1596.
295. G. A. Kraus, D. Chaudhary, Y. Yuan, A. Schuster “Nitromethyl Benzoate Annulation Reactions:
A Rapid Construction of the Stealthin Skeleton” Tetrahedron Letters, 2012, 53, 4444-6.
296. G. A. Kraus, D. Chaudhary “Conversion of Substituted Benzyl Ethers to Diarylmethanes. A
Direct Synthesis of Diarylbenzofurans”, Tetrahedron Lett. 2012, 53, 7072.
297. G. A. Kraus, J. Lee “A direct synthesis of renewable sulfonate-based surfactants”, J.
Surfactants Detergents, 2013, 16, 317. DOI 10.1007/s11743-012-1408-2.
298. G. A. Kraus, D. Chaudhary, S. Riley, F. Liu, G. Phillips “The Synthesis and Antimicrobial
Activity of 3-Alkenyl Salicylic Acids” Natural Products Communications, 2013, 8(7), 911-913.
299. G. A. Kraus, G. Pollock, K. Palmer “Aromatics from Pyrones: Terephthalic Acid and Related
Aromatics From Methyl Coumalate”, RSC Advances, 2013, 3(31), 12721-12725.
300. T. Guney, G. A. Kraus “A Total Synthesis of Paracaseolide” Org. Lett. 2013, 15, 613-615.
301. J. J. Lee, G. A. Kraus “Divergent Diels-Alder Methodology from Methyl Coumalate toward
Functionalized Aromatics” Tetrahedron Lett. 2013, 54, 2366.
302. M. Chia, M. A. Haider, G. A. Kraus, M. Neurock, J. A. Dumesic “Mechanistic Insights into
Ring-Opening and Decarboxylation of 2-Pyrones in Liquid Water and Tetrahydrofuran Solvents” J. Am. Chem Soc. 2013, 135, 5699.
304. A. Sachan, A. Kempema, G. A. Kraus, and M. Nilsen-Hamilton "Specificity of the cocaine
aptamer and its application in measurement of cocaine and metabolites in homogeneous samples”